!שלום־עליכם 欢迎! 欢迎! Welcome!
The Sino-Judaic Institute has been a pioneer in the field of Chinese-Jewish relations for over 30 years. We are a virtual institute, based in the United States, but with members the world over. We offer this website as a resource to all who are curious about various aspects of Chinese-Jewish relations and want to learn more. SJI is a membership organization. We welcome your participation and involvement.
Our fields of work include:
- The study of the ancient Jewish community of Kaifeng, where Jews have been living now for over a millennium, and assisting the Kaifeng Jewish descendants to reconnect with their cultural heritage as appropriate.
- The study of Jewish life in Shanghai, Harbin, Tianjin, Hong Kong and elsewhere in the 19th and 20th centuries.
- The study of cross-cultural issues such as literary influences, comparative diasporas, religion, intermarriage and family matters, etc.
- The support of Jewish Studies programs in China and fostering scholarship in this field.
- Promotion of tourism to Kaifeng and other cities and to make current exhibits on the Jews of China more accessible to the public.
- Publicaton of Points East, a journal that comes out three times a year, and Sino-Judaica, an occasional scholarly publication.